Thursday, January 27, 2011

Sticky Coconut Chicken

Okay, nobody is probably going to try this recipe once they're done reading my introduction, but we honestly liked it and are definitely going to make it again. There were just a couple of bumps in the road on the way to liking it.

#1 When I saw the recipe, it looked really good so I tried it as written below. I ended up throwing it all out before Nate got home. I HATED the chicken thighs and the glaze was too spicy for me. So I tried it again this week and substituted chicken tenderloins for the thighs and cut the red pepper flakes in the glaze down to a couple of sprinkles. By the time it reduced down to a glaze, it still had quite a bit of heat.


#2 It smelled really strange before it all came together. Something about the coconut milk marinade on the grill and the vinegar-based sauce simmering on the stove made for a weird smell combination and I wasn't sure how things were going to go. But once it was off the grill and the glaze was on the chicken, it was so delicious. I know, I'm really selling this recipe, huh? But try it--it was delicious.

Chicken and Marinade:
6-8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (see note above)
1 cup canned coconut milk
1 TB minced fresh ginger
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp red pepper flakes

Marinate the chicken in coconut milk, ginger, black pepper, and red pepper flakes at least one hour (I did mine overnight). Grill.

Glaze:
3/4 cup rice vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
3 TB soy sauce
1 tsp red pepper flakes (see note above)

While the chicken is grilling, bring glaze ingredients to a boil over medium-high heat and cook until mixture is reduced and thickened, about 8-10 minutes. Be patient because it takes a little while. Once it starts getting really thick, remove from heat. Glaze both sides of chicken the last couple of minutes of grilling, or wait and glaze it after removing from the grill to prevent a sticky grill grate. Serve over rice.

Recipe Source: www.melskitchencafe.com

2 comments:

  1. I'll definiely try it. :-) For one thing, I have 8 cans of coconut milk in the pantry that I bought as Costco just before realizing that I can no longer get the Thai Kitchen Coconut Peanut sauce packet that we loved at the grocery stores in my area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, what do you think...
    1/2tsp red pepper flakes for the marinade and 1/2tsp for the glaze?
    It sounds really good actually!!

    ReplyDelete